A Script Development Program For Regional Writers: Beginners & Emerging
Write Sparks 101 This stream is open to first-time participants to the Write Sparks program, new regional writers with little or no knowledge of writing stories for performance. It is also open to those 2016 graduates who feel the need to refresh their 101 skills whilst also participating in more advanced development work. Participants are selected via application only. We are looking for applicants who have a passion for writing, who have always wondered what skills they need to write a captivating story. If this is you, take the plunge and apply.
The Write Sparks 101 course components are:
- A series of three workshops, a total of 45 contact hours, conducted over three weekends, spanning two consecutive months, in which the participants will receive the 9 modules of learning for basic writing skills.
- 1 hour one-on-one dramaturgical session conducted during a week in June.
- Access to a private Facebook page to access support and encouragement from the facilitator and the group as a whole.
- Optional script assessment and dramaturgical feedback via email, at extra cost to the writer.
- The opportunity to participate in a weekend Festival of Play Readings where your writing may be read by professional actors. Followed by a post-reading workshop in which duo-dramaturgy will enable feedback and clarity.
- Friday, 12 May (2pm to 7pm)
- Saturday, 13 May (10am to 3pm)
- Sunday, 14 May (10am to 3pm)
- Friday, 19 May (2pm to 7pm)
- Saturday, 20 May (10am to 3pm)
- Sunday, 21 May (10am to 3pm)
One-on-one Dramaturgical Session:
- Day TBC, May (60 minute session)
- Friday, 2 June (2pm to 7pm)
- Saturday, 3 June (10am to 3pm)
- Sunday, 4 June (10am to 3pm)
Festival of Play Readings:
- Friday, 1 Sep (times TBC)
- Saturday, 2 Sep (times TBC)
- Sunday, 3 Sep (times TBC)
The program fee for Write Sparks 101 is $350 incl. GST payable to JUTE Theatre Company if selected for the program. Payment plans are available. We also encourage participants to apply for RADF Small Grants which may cover some or all of the Program Fee. Further information on applying for this Grant can be found at http://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/facilities-sport-leisure/arts-culture/regional-arts-development-fund
How To Apply
- Applications are now open!
- Read through the ‘Program & Applicant Guidelines’ below to ensure you meet the program criteria.
- Complete the online application for Write Sparks 101 (see link at the bottom of this page).
- Successful applicants will be forwarded payment details to finalise the program fee ($350).
- The program commences on Friday 12th May.
Program & Applicant Guidelines – 101
- Applicants will be a novice writer or emerging regional writer with little or no knowledge of writing for performance.
- Applicants must be primarily interested in developing a work for performance.
- Applicants must be available and committed to complete all of the contact hours for the 3 residencies & Festival of Play Readings in Cairns.
- Applicants must be committed to meet all deadlines as set out by JUTE and the facilitator.
- If selected into the program, the applicant must make a commitment to communicate regularly regarding the program requirements and respond promptly to emails as part of a professional courtesy to JUTE and the facilitator.
- If selected for the program, the applicant will complete the one-off program fee of $350 including GST payable to JUTE Theatre Company. Payment plans are available. Applicants are encourage to apply for RADF Small Grants
- JUTE will have the first option to produce any work developed through The Write Sparks program.
Applications close 28 April 2017. Please complete this form and we will be in contact shortly to discuss your application. If you can’t see the form below, please CLICK HERE.