This Write Sparks – IGNITE stream is open to experienced playwrights who wish to extend their writing practice and work toward a finished writing draft of a full length play for theatre production.
Participants are selected via application only, the closing date being in February 23, 2018. Applicants will need to be established playwrights (with one or more professional productions) or have completed the Write Sparks program in 2016 or 2017 (or the online Write Out Loud program). Applicants will need to present a strong development strategy in their applications for a draft of a work in progress for a performance script. Applicants will include a full script with their application.
Because of the complex and competitive nature of the program, JUTE will offer a short information session to interested applicants to carefully outline the details of the options that are being offered within the program.
The Write Sparks Ignite JUTE Writers in Residence course components are:
- Write Sparks Ignite JUTE Writers in Residence info session offered to deliver guidelines and program details. Active enlistment of CALD participants via community contacts.
- Successful applicants advised February 23, 2018
- a series of one-on-one weekly dramaturgical sessions, a total of 6 contact hours + 6 prep hours per participant.
- JUTE Writer’s Retreat in July, 2018
- Deadline for script submission for consideration in each of the options offered, May 25, 2018
- 2 x guided theatre experiences– theatre attendance to two JUTE performances in 2018
- Writer’s pitch session with Suellen Maunder, Peta Cooke and Kathryn Ash
- Outcome for development offers, advised June 10, 2018
- Individual development plan meetings held post June to discuss the particulars of the project and assist in the sourcing of funding if required and resources.
- Access to a private Facebook page to access support and encouragement from the facilitator and the group as a whole.
One on One Dramaturgy sessions fortnightly:
- February 26 – May 25, 2018
Theatre Q &A Experience:
- The Longest Minute #1 May 3rd 2018
- Bukal #2 July 9th 2018
Private Facebook Group:
- Facilitator and writers drop in from March to September to answer questions and offer support.
Writers Retreat @ Babinda Quarters:
The Quarters is a beautifully restored classic Art Deco guesthouse, located in Babinda, Tropical North Queensland. Just a 40-minute drive south of Cairns, this historic nurses home is a heritage icon and local landmark.
- Friday 25th May 2018 (2pm to 7pm)
- Saturday 26th May (9am to 7pm)
- Sunday 27th May (9am – 3.30pm)
Nb. Attendees will be issued with a detailed schedule outlining the full weekend events.
The program fee for Write Sparks Ignite is $150 incl. GST payable to JUTE Theatre Company if selected for the program. *Price based on a twin share accommodation for retreat inclusive.
How To Apply
- Read through the ‘Program & Applicant Guidelines’below to ensure you meet the program criteria.
- Complete the online application for Write Sparks Ignite (see link at the bottom of this page).
- Submit a typed sample of your writing skills, up to 5 pages, to email@example.com (please do this immediately after completing your online application)
- Application Deadline: Midnight Friday 17th February 2018.
- Successful applicants will be advised by Friday 24th February.
- Successful applicants will be forwarded payment details to finalise the program fee ($150).
- The program commences in February.
Program & Applicant Guidelines
- Applicant must be able to demonstrate in their application some level of skill in performance writing, having either completed the online Write Out Loud Course or having graduated from the 2017 Write Sparks program, or can demonstrate an intermediate to advanced understanding of writing for performance.
- Applicant must be able to present a first draft for development in a standard theatrical format, or present a detailed theatrical treatment including synopsis, plot, themes, and characterisation, demonstrating an in-depth knowledge of the work proposed.
- Applicant must be primarily interested in developing a work for performance. Writers wanting to work on novels, non-performance poetry, and non-fiction literature will not be considered.
- Applicant must be available and committed to complete all of the contact hours
- Applicant must be committed to meet all deadlines as set out by JUTE and the facilitator.
- If selected into the program, the applicant must make a commitment to communicate regularly regarding the program requirements and respond promptly to emails as part of a professional courtesy to JUTE and the facilitator.
- JUTE will have the first option to produce any work developed through The Write Sparks program.
JUTE Theatre Company acknowledges the support by the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland
Applications close 23 February 2018. APPLY HERE.