This Write Sparks 101 stream is open to first time participants to the Write Sparks program, new regional writers with little or no knowledge of writing stories for performance. It is also open to former participants of the Write Sparks 101 program who feel the need to refresh their skills whilst also participating in more advanced development work.
Participants are selected via application only, the closing date being in February 23, 2018. Applicants will need to have a strong story for performance idea, and a passionate desire to tell that story within a theatrical setting. Applicants will be strongly encouraged to aim for the creation of a short work, 30 minutes or less, with simple requirements. The program does not offer participation to those writers working on non-performance or non-text-based work.
The Write Sparks 101 course components are:
- call for applications in January, 2018 with a submission deadline February 23, 2018. Active enlistment of CALD participants via community contacts. Successful applicants advised February 23, 2018
- a series of three workshops, a total of 45 hours, conducted over two consecutive weekends in March and one in mid-April, in which the participants will receive the 9 modules of learning for basic writing skills.
- 1 x one-on-one dramaturgical session conducted during that same period.
- 2 x guided theatre experiences- theatre attendance to two JUTE performances in 2018, coupled with a group discussions (online or in person) to encourage critical analysis of performance elements.
- 1 x Q and A theatre panel session with in-house director, producer, actor, designer and stage manager.
- access to a private Facebook page to access support and encouragement from the facilitator and the group as a whole.
- Deadline prompts via Facebook toward the completion of the first draft.
- optional script assessment and dramaturgical feedback via email, at extra cost to the writer.
- optional participation in JUTE Writer’s Retreat in July 2018 (at an additional fee)
- deadline for submitted first draft scripts June 28, 2018
- written feedback from the dramaturg regarding the first draft and suggested development actions.
- deadline for submitted second draft scripts, October 29, 2018
- opportunity for reading of their short developed scripts in JUTE’s 2019 Winter Play Fest by professional actors. (curated event)- advised Nov/Dec, 2018
- Friday, 2 March (2pm – 7pm)
- Saturday, 3 March (10am – 3pm)
- Sunday, 4 March (10am – 3pm)
- Saturday, 10 March (9am to 6:30pm)
- Sunday, 11 March (9am to 6:30pm)
One-on-one Dramaturgical Session:
- March 12 & April 12 (60 minute session)
- Friday, 13 April June (2pm – 7pm)
- Saturday, 14 April (10am -3pm)
- Sunday, 15 April (10am -3pm)
Writers Retreat @ Babinda Quarters:
The Quarters is a beautifully restored classic Art Deco guesthouse, located in Babinda, Tropical North Queensland. Just a 40-minute drive south of Cairns, this historic nurses home is a heritage icon and local landmark.
- Friday, 25 May 2018 (2pm to 7pm)
- Saturday, 26May (9am to 7pm)
- Sunday, 27 May (9am – 3.30pm)
Nb. Attendees will be issued with a detailed schedule outlining the full weekend events.
The program fee for Write Sparks 101 is $800 incl. GST payable to JUTE Theatre Company if selected for the program. Payment plans are available. Early bird discount for up front fee payment is $725 incl. GST. We also encourage participants to apply for RADF Small Grants which may cover some or all of the Program Fee. Further information on applying for this Grant can be found at http://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/facilities-sport-leisure/arts-culture/regional-arts-development-fund
How To Apply
- Applications are now open!
- Read through the ‘Program & Applicant Guidelines below to ensure you meet the program criteria.
- Complete the online application for Write Sparks 101 (see link at the bottom of this page).
- The program commences on Friday 2nd March
Program & Applicant Guidelines – 101
- Applicants will be a novice writer or emerging regional writer with little or no knowledge of writing for performance.
- Applicants must be primarily interested in developing a work for performance.
- Applicants must be available and committed to complete all of the contact hours for the 3 residencies & Festival of Play Readings in Cairns.
- Applicants must be committed to meet all deadlines as set out by JUTE and the facilitator.
- If selected into the program, the applicant must make a commitment to communicate regularly regarding the program requirements and respond promptly to emails as part of a professional courtesy to JUTE and the facilitator.
- JUTE will have the first option to produce any work developed through The Write Sparks program.
JUTE Theatre Company acknowledges the support by the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland
Applications close 23 February 2018. APPLY HERE.